Oars 8 – shaping complete

Just over 2 weeks have past since starting this project and both oars are complete and ready for finishing. I’ve decided to go with spar varnish at this point since the oars turned out better than I expected. One of the things I’ve learned listening to wooden boat podcasts is that the building process in putting a wooden boat together is usually only about 60% of the work. The other 40% is finishing work. I expect the multiple coats of varnish with sanding in between will take up another good chunk of time, but that will have to wait for warmer weather. We’re heading for another week of 40s and below, so the oars will be tucked into a corner waiting for warmer weather to finish them.

Gluing up the oars took about a third of a 16oz bottle of Titebond II glue. Each oar took one 60 grit sheet of sandpaper for the orbital sander.

Oars ready for finish

Oars ready for finish

Total time: 11.5 hours
Total cost: $276

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s