This morning I did all the shaping on the boom, so now both the yard and boom have their rough octagonal shaping complete. After sailing with aluminum masts and booms which don’t bend it’s going to be interesting to sail with the wooden spars. From what I’ve read so far the fact that the spars bend actually helps them to be more stable in gusty conditions. With a large gust the spars will bend and help de-power the sail so there’s less chance of a knock down. I can’t wait to try it out.
I’ve got the day off on Monday while the rest of the family has school and work. It’s going to be about 45F. I’m torn between working more on the boat or actually going sailing. If it were going to be 55 instead of 45, it wouldn’t be such a hard choice. Maybe I’ll stay home, get the sanding work done. I can also cut out the pieces for the lee board and rudder. The lee board is laminated from 3 pieces of 1/4″ plywood. The rudder pieces are laminated from 2 pieces of 1/4″ plywood. I also want to paint the oars white and then have the kids paint pictures on them before giving them a couple of coats of varnish. Maybe I could get that done as well.
Total time: 18.5 hours
Total cost: $631