After several good trial runs of the Terror, I finally got the thole pins installed this weekend. Rowing was difficult with the sail and yards down on the boat so I wanted the thole pins raised up above the sides where they were attached with the clamps previously. I decided to make them out of oak. I bought a 1×4″ board 6 feet long. I ripped it down to 1.25″ pieces. Then I layered up 3 pieces 8″ long with another 2 pieces 4″ long. I used an 8″ carriage bolt as the thole pin. I’m pleased with how the oak came together. I almost feel like I could start doing some real wood working for the next boat.
Can’t wait to get it on the water again to try them out.