Another cloudy, drizzly winter day, but it started out pretty warm. It was above 50F when I went out this morning to get to work on the fillets. I spent a good bit of time setting up my epoxy station. I wanted everything neat and orderly to avoid getting sticky goop everywhere. I started using the Marinepoxy today which is a 2:1 mixture. I did 4 small batches. The first batch was 3 oz resin, 1.5 hardener. The second and third batches were 4 oz and 2 oz. The final batch was a small 2 oz and 1 oz. I’m using fine sawdust as a thickener. I really could have used a larger radius fillet stick for rounding out the thickened epoxy as I don’t think I got quite as much epoxy into the corners everywhere as I’d like. I might make some custom fillet sticks for the next job. I mixed the epoxy in wax lined paper coffee cups and then spooned it into ziplock bags with the corners cut like small cake frosting piping. That kept everything pretty neat. I went back in and cleaned up the fillet edges to remove the extra that squeezes out. That should help cut down on the sanding too.
One evening this week I’ll have to get the gunwales epoxied together. It was nice to get the boat work done early today. Despite the drizzly weather, Molly and I got in a nice afternoon hike at the Eno. Nothing beats being outside near water even if it’s not in a boat.