Yesterday I cut the hatch for the rear deck. I went with a 12″x12″ set 2″ back from the inside edge of the boat. Then I cut down a 2×4 I had on hand into 1.5″ x 3/4″ strips. I then cut these strips into pieces to frame out the opening.
I also cut a piece of oak to use as the front brace and got that installed with glue and stainless steel washers and screws.
Today I glued all the hatches pieces together and finished putting a coat of epoxy on all the interior and the gunwales.
Last steps for this boat are to finish the hatch top, epoxy coat the rest of the hatch and give everything a light sanding. Then it’s paint and varnish time!