Hatch cover finished

I’ve been fighting a sinus infection for the past several days, so it’s been a bit of a struggle to gather the motivation to work on the boat, but today I finished the hatch cover. I was originally thinking about doing a recessed hatch, but I’m hoping the raised hatch might be more water tight.

dry fitting the hatch pieces

dry fitting the hatch pieces

Yesterday I had my first experience with epoxy bubbling when the temperature rises as the epoxy is setting. It got up to a beautiful 70F in the afternoon, but I had put the epoxy down in the morning at around 55F. I ended up with bubbling on that oak cross beam, but that’s okay. Sanding and a few coats of spar varnish should take care of that.

Hopefully the temps don’t rise too much this afternoon. I epoxy coated the bottom of the deck and the hatch cover just before lunch.

bottom of deck

bottom of deck

hatch cover

hatch cover

I have one more small triangle of plywood to add to the nose of the boat and then all epoxy work should be finished. Should be down to sanding and painting after that.

Hours: 1.5/51.5

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s