Today I got the garage cleaned up and mounted a pulley system to hang the Toto from the ceiling. I’m pleased with the way the pulleys operate smoothly, lock in place while lifting and drop the kayak all the way to the floor. I wish our ceiling were a bit higher. Even with the webbing straps shortened and pulled up as high as it will go the boat hangs just over 6′ in the air. As long as I don’t bang my head on it, I’m happy. It’s off the ground, out of the way, and ready to drop on top of a car at a moments notice.
Yesterday I took a half day off from work and went to Falls Lake. It was the first time testing out the new boom. It worked like a charm. It was a beautiful 80F, dry and breezy. I spent 3 hours tacking around the main part of the lake. Rocket was nervous at first after our last crazy adventure with 20 mph winds gusting to 30, but after a while we both got into the groove of it and he would happily sit up on the decks watching the world go by.
I forgot that Matt still had my main sheet from our last adventure. Fortunately I had a long length of paracord. It was a bit slippery and skinny to hang on to, but when I wrapped it once around the cleat on the tiller I could hold it easily with my thumb and it would still release quickly if needed. I think I might use the paracord from now on instead of a thicker mainsheet.
After experimenting with the lazy jacks I’ve decided they are not worth the effort on this small a boat. I do like having the halyard attached to the mast though.
I’ve also learned more about rowing and would prefer rounder oars in the oarlocks so that I could feather the stroke and also have the oar blade at a slight angle so keep it seated firmly as it moves through the water. Next time…