Mast Repair

I noticed a while back that the top of my mast was starting to split. I should have done something about it sooner, but today I noticed it had gotten worse. We did an overnight camping trip to Kerr Lake. The predicted 5-8 mph wind didn’t fill in so we just did some rowing and fishing. At home I discovered this:

20151213_150034.jpg

This actually looks a little worse than it did. I took this photo after hitting it with the dremel to open it up. Then I poured in some epoxy and let it soak in for a while. Finally I added a little sawdust to thicken the epoxy and ended up with this:

20151213_152455.jpg

Hopefully that will hold it for a while longer. Eventually I might have to cut it off and add a new piece. I’ve learned the hard way that you really should not use the last few inches of any wood that you purchase as the wood dries from the ends.

Once this cures it will be time to give all the spars a few more coats of spar varnish. My yard took a bit of a beating when I dragged it under a bridge that I thought I could clear. I should have touched that up long ago too.

20151212_122137.jpg

img_20151212_125226.jpg

Can’t beat camping in December in T-shirts.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s