Rudder arm part 3

I was supposed to be out sailing today, but a sick daughter shot that plan. Instead I worked on the rudder arm and the boat trailer. I’m really happy with the rudder arm. This is definitely the best wood working project I’ve done to date. The oak is beautiful and the sweep of the curves very pleasing. The mortise and tenon could have been a little tighter, but it should be fine when pegged. The wood sanded up nicely and I got a first coat of spar varnish on it.

bottom of rudder arm

bottom of rudder arm

top of rudder arm

top of rudder arm

side view

side view

Next I got the steel on the trailer painted with some flat black Rust-Oleum. Then it was on to the trailer lights so I can finally take this thing out after dark. I put some outdoor carpet on the crossbars and loaded up the kayaks next.

wp-1486943861382.jpg

Just a few more hours on this thing and we’ll be ready for some great adventures this spring.

Almost another launch day

We are getting very close to another boat launch day. I probably could have launched it already, but at this point there is no rush. We have a camping trip coming up in a few weeks where we’ll spend 5 days on Kerr Lake. That will be the perfect launch day and give the paint plenty of time to cure.

shiny paint

shiny paint

In order to get ready for that trip, it’s time to add another coat of varnish to the spars and the other set of Klepper paddles.

fresh varnish

Klepper paddles get a coat of varnish

Klepper paddles get a coat of varnish

I also drilled a couple of holes in the deck hatch and filled them with epoxy. I’ll drill smaller holes through the epoxy to make a waterproof bearing. I’ll tie a small rope through the holes to make a handle for pulling up the hatch and add a bungee line clipped to a ring attached to the bottom of the air box.

epoxy plugs

epoxy plugs

Time to get cranking on the Goat Island Skiff project!

Spring Rains

I was really hoping to have the painting finished earlier this week, but we’ve had so much rain. While the rain has been bad for painting, it certainly helps wash down all the yellow pollen. This morning before the birthday party I managed to get the second coat of paint on the interior of the boat, primed the rear deck and got another coat of Marine Wood Finish on the paddles and a first coat on the gunwales.

rear deck primed

rear deck primed

first coat on the rear hatch

first coat on the rear hatch

wood finish on the gunwales

wood finish on the gunwales

We’ll be launching soon!

Ready for Launch

We finished up a bunch of work on the boat yesterday getting ready for the launch today. The weather has gone from “Clear” to chance of thunderstorms, but the winds are still projected to be good.

The first project of the day was installing this cleat and rope to hold up the leeboard.

leeboard ready for travel

leeboard ready for travel

Next I added the shock cord closures for the hatches.

hatch covers

hatch covers

And finally I mounted the dragon

the Terror of the Sea

the Terror of the Sea

I also put a coat of varnish on Molly’s oar.

Then I bought a 12′ 2×4 which I┬ácut into two supports for the trailer to hold the boat. Tanya and I were talking about pulling the carpet off the stairs. Maybe I’ll do that this morning and use the carpet scraps as padding on the bars.

Total time: 89 hours
Total boat cost: $534
Total tools cost: $200

Varnish is stinky

After using mostly low VOC paints on the rest of the boat, putting spar varnish on the spars sure does stink a lot. Originally I was going to varnish them inside until I opened the can and stirred it around. The boat now has a second coat of paint on the bottom. The mast has two coats of varnish, the yard and boom have a single coat. The hatch covers have two coats on one side. The dragons have been cut out.

 

Thar be Dragons!

Thar be Dragons!

 

Total time: 77 hours
Total boat cost: $534
Total tools cost: $200